Subject: Re: Guix Emacs does not get "America/Sao_Paulo" timezone by name

From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2021 19:23:15 -0300

Em [2021-05-09 dom 22:08:17+0200], Leo Prikler escreveu:

>> Alternatively, I could simply ‘export TZDIR=/usr/share/zoneinfo’ in
>> my environment; then I could even uninstall tzdata from Guix.  But
>> would that work reliably?  That is, does Guix Emacs work reliably
>> with tzdata from the foreign distro?
> I suppose things should just work™ as it's data

I looked at the Guix recipe for tzdata and it seems nontrivial.  There
is compilation with GCC.  Therefore I fear using Debian’s tzdata from
Guix’s Emacs.  I suppose I will continue using Guix’s tzdata.  Indeed, I
recall having heard that Guix packages are not supposed to access files
from the foreign distro outside of a few locations such as the user’s
home.

>> Don’t you mean ‘guix build tzdata’?
> Yes, please pardon my typos :)

Pardoned. :)

Regards!

-- 
- <https://stallmansupport.org> "In Support of Richard Stallman"
- If an email of mine arrives at your spam box, please notify me.
- Please adopt free/libre formats like PDF, ODF, Org, LaTeX, Opus, WebM and 7z.
- Free/libre software for Replicant, LineageOS and Android: https://f-droid.org
- [[https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html][What is free software?]]