Subject: Re: Guix Emacs does not get "America/Sao_Paulo" timezone by name

From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2021 16:41:19 -0300

Hi Leo.

Em [2021-05-09 dom 17:57:27+0200], Leo Prikler escreveu:

> I've tested Guix System.  If you install tzdata locally, don't forget
> to set TZDIR in your shell profile to make Emacs find it.  The
> following command fails to resolve Brazil/East:
>
>     guix environment -C --ad-hoc emacs tzdata -E TERM -- emacs
>
> The following command does not fail to resolve Brazil/East
>
>     guix environment -C --ad-hoc emacs tzdata -E TERM -E TZDIR -- emacs

Debian bullseye (with Gnome) does not set TZDIR in my environment.  So
to work around this bug, I have now installed Guix package tzdata and
created the Bash script emacs-wrapper:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
#!/usr/bin/env bash

TZDIR="${GUIX_PROFILE}/share/zoneinfo" emacs "${@}"
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Alternatively, I could simply ‘export TZDIR=/usr/share/zoneinfo’ in my
environment; then I could even uninstall tzdata from Guix.  But would
that work reliably?  That is, does Guix Emacs work reliably with tzdata
from the foreign distro?

> Note: the above assumes, that `guix build tzdir` produces $TZDIR

Don’t you mean ‘guix build tzdata’?

Regards

-- 
- <https://stallmansupport.org> "In Support of Richard Stallman"
- I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome feedback.
- Free Software Supporter: <https://www.fsf.org/free-software-supporter>
- If an email of mine arrives at your spam box, please notify me.