Subject: Re: bug#48269: 27.1: log-edit-generate-changelog-from-diff FAILURE

From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 20:13:52 -0400

On 2021-05-10 01:58, Filipp Gunbin wrote:
> Frankly, I don't get it: the function we talk about starts with its
> mode's prefix (log-edit), is bound to key in that (and derived) modes,
> so why would a user just randomly call it in an unprepared buffer?

Good point. Short answer: it was directly recommended in a another emacs
bug report thread that I do so.

Longer answer: I wasn't given instructions in that other thread about
'preparing a buffer', only that the command was an alternative to 'C-x 4
a' when operating on version-controlled file and there was no need or
desire for a Changelog file. That's also how I interpreted an excerpt
from the emacs NEWS file posted there. As I had the file under git,
using magit, and 'C-x 4 a' (from add-log.el) is known to work without
any 'buffer preparation', why shouldn't commands from log-edit.el?

> I mean, the sanity check will be an over-defense, IMO.

I'm not so sure, but as I've yet to read up on how to 'prepare a buffer'
and get the command working, I'm not yet in position to take a step back
and assess whether what happened in my case is reasonable to happen to
others.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0