Subject: bug#48269: 27.1: log-edit-generate-changelog-from-diff FAILURE

From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 12:55:15 -0400

On 2021-05-07 09:20, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 22:47:17 -0400
> > From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
>
> So the problem seems to be that the doc strings don't say the command
> should be invoked from a *vc-log* buffer, is that right?

There could be a sanity-check at the beginning of the function in the form:

    (unless (eq major-mode foo)
      (user-error "Not in foo buffer"))

> The user manual explains that, so next time when the doc string is
> not enough,

Umm... In this case, a mix of subjective 'not enough' and objective
non-existent. Important to make that distinction.

>  may I suggest to try looking up the command/variable in the manual?

For me personally that's a great suggestion, but if that's going to be
your position for all emacs users, you're taking a major step back from
a long strong precedent of emacs documentation standards and one of the
features that makes emacs such an attractive environment to work in.

And here's the content of the log-edit.el commentary (don't blink):

That was quick.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0