Subject: bug#48264: 28.0.50; Changing the default for DEFVAR_PER_BUFFER variables takes O(#buffers) time

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 14:18:06 +0200

Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> BTW, I find this term slightly problematic: "permanent-local" already
>>> has a slightly different meaning for normal variables.  Maybe we should
>>> call them "really-permanent-local" or "always buffer-local" or
>>> "buffer-local-only"?
>>
>> I prefer "always buffer-local", as this is what we used until now (see
>> buffer.c).
>
> True, will change the wording in a followup.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

Lightly skimming this thread, it seemed like people agreed that this
patch set should be applied, but that didn't happen, as far as I can
tell.  Did you do any further work on this, Spencer?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no