Subject: bug#48264: [PATCH v3 15/15] Add and use BVAR_FIELD macros

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2021 12:08:49 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> If you think such a conditionally-compiled runtime check would be
>> acceptable for applying these changes, I can go ahead and write that.
>
> Yes, I think so.  But if Lars or Stefan think differently, I might
> reconsider.

I'd prefer compile time checks, certainly...  but I see that Spencer has
added a way to get those without adding the awkward struct accessor
macros now, so I guess the question is moot.

But listing the permanently local variables in a list like this:

+/* This structure is used purely as a list of field names that are
+   permitted for use with BVAR; it's never actually instantiated.  */
+struct bvar_permanent_locals {

at least requires commentary in the struct they're defined in so that we
don't remember to update the list when we add new permanently local
variables...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no