Subject: 23.1; woman-manpath, woman-man.conf-path on MS Windows with Cygwin

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 00:40:45 -0700

Seems like the default value of things like `man-path' on MS Windows
should not be ("/usr/man" "/usr/share/man" "/usr/local/man").
 
I have Cygwin installed (but I'm not using Cygwin Emacs), but the
default value does not reflect this. Even the doc string of
`woman-manpath' says this:
 
 Microsoft platforms:
 I recommend including drive letters explicitly, e.g.
 
   ("C:/Cygwin/usr/man/" "C:/Cygwin/usr/local/man").
 
One wonders who "I" is here (that's not helful, for doc), but in any
case, why can't Emacs itself do something like that for the default
value? That default value, even if hard-coded, would be better for
Windows users than the actual default value of ("/usr/man"
"/usr/share/man" "/usr/local/man"). There is more chance that a
Windows user has Cygwin installed than that the Unix directories will
work!

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'