Subject: bug#48239: rust-1.19.0 build fails

From: Bone Baboon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2021 21:10:08 -0400

Mark H Weaver writes:
> Are you aware of any relevant customizations to your kernel
> configuration that might possibly be related to this?

The system configuration includes:

```
  (kernel-arguments
   (append
    (list
     "nomodeset"
     "ipv6.disable=1")
    %default-kernel-arguments))
```

Without "nomodeset" the computer is not able to boot.

"ipv6.disable=1" is to prevent ipv6 leaks from compromising the privacy
provided by a VPN service I am using.

> For what it's worth, on my Thinkpad X200 (Core 2 Duo) with 4 GB of RAM
> and 8 GB of swap, I've been successully building Rust locally using Guix
> for many years, as long as I don't run other memory intensive processes
> at the same time.

That is good to know.

I was able to build the Rust bootstrap chain from source on this
computer before.  It took several days to complete.

> It might be worth trying the build a second time.  Occasionally we see
> nondeterministic build failures in some packages, although I don't
> recall seeing such failures in Rust.

I tried again and got the same error.