Subject: [bug#48237] [PATCH] gnu: emacs-consult: Add ‘emacs-ve

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 13:51:24 -0400

Hello Arun,

Xinglu Chen <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 11 2021, Arun Isaac wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I actually think we should not add emacs-vertico to the
>> propagated-inputs, and remove emacs-flycheck and emacs-selectrum as
>> well. All these are optional dependencies, and we should leave it to the
>> user to install the ones they want. At least in this specific case, the
>> three packages (flycheck, selectrum and vertico) are the kind the user
>> would want to explicitly install. They aren't backend libraries that
>> ought to remain invisible to the user.
>>
>> In fact, this is the version of emacs-consult I have installed in my
>> profile.

Guix packages typically come as featureful as possible unless there are
good reasons not too (to minimize the closure size, for example).  In
this case, the added optional dependencies seem to have negligible
effect on the closure size, according to `guix size`; I'd be in favor to
keep the optional dependencies specified for that reason, unless there
are other considerations that I'm missing.

> Another option would be to define package variants of ‘emacs-consult’,
> that way we would have four packages:
>
> * emacs-consult;
> * emacs-consult-flycheck;
> * emacs-consult-vertico; and
> * emacs-consult.

I would prefer not go that route (variants multiplication), especially
when the user already has a way to customize.

My 2 cents,

Maxim