Subject: Re: bug#48232: [PATCH 0/2] Add mercurial-commitsigs and some changes to Mercurial.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 12:26:31 +0200

Hi,

Xinglu Chen <[email-masked]> skribis:

> The first patch adds the commitsigs extension for Mercurial, it allows
> users to sign Mercurial changesets (equivalent to Git commits) with
> GnuPG or OpenSSL.
>
> The second patch adds PYTHONPATH to the ‘native-search-paths’ field of
> Mercurial, this allows Mercurial to automatically find third-party
> extensions (like commitsigs) installed in
> /gnu/store/...-profile/lib/python3.8/site-packages/hgext3rd.  By
> default, it only looks at
> /gnu/store/...-mercurial/lib/python3.8/site-packages/hgext3rd.

Is /hgext3rd a convention that upstream recommends?

> However, I am not sure this is the best approach since it messes with
> PYTHONPATH, AFAIK there is no such things as a HGEXTENSIONS variable I
> could set.  Another problem is that I have to hardcode “python3.8”, this
> would obviously have to be updated if the default Python version gets
> updated.  I did try to do something like this:

Messing up with PYTHONPATH is indeed not great since it “belongs” to
Python.

Could we instead patch Mercurial so it honors a specific environment
variable, like HG_EXTENSION_PATH?

Thanks,
Ludo’.