Subject: bug#48229: 28.0.50; C-g leaves inactive minibuffer selected with pop-up-frames

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 16:24:43 +0100

forcemerge 47766 48229
quit

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Ignore the missing scrollbar; that's a separate long-standing issue ;).
>
> You mean a missing slider and a strange background?

Yes, although the background isn't strange: it's a small section of a
scenic wallpaper from my home country, I think you'd like it ;).

> Would it help to put scroll bars on the right?

Yes, I no longer get a missing slider after
(set-scroll-bar-mode 'right).

> In either case we should investigate this, or at least document it.

Indeed, it's on my todo to report this properly (I also get a missing
menu bar sometimes with Lucid/GTK, but I only notice it when I'm in the
middle of something else in 'emacs -Q', because in my config I have all
of these elements disabled), but I need to study for my finals first.

>> 3. q
>>
>> As part of another long-standing issue on Xmonad (I guess because it
>> doesn't really do invisibility/minimisation/what-have-you), this
>> actually retains the *Completions* frame (which is still highlighted as
>> focused by the WM), but now neither frame looks "active" (all three
>> visible cursors are hollow):
>
> Have you ever tried to customize `frame-auto-hide-function'?

Yes, in my config I have:

  (defun blc-delete-spare-frame (&optional frame force)
    "Delegate to `delete-frame' unless FRAME is alone in terminal."
    (unless (eq (next-frame) (selected-frame))
      (delete-frame frame force)))

  (setq-default frame-auto-hide-function #'blc-delete-spare-frame)

amongst various other settings and advice to elevate the citizenship
status of pop-up-frames.

> If it's really impossible to get rid of that frame, we should document
> it too.
>
>> 4. Close the *Completions* frame.  In Xmonad that's Mod-Shift-c by
>>     default.
>>
>> The minibuffer of the original frame is now selected:
>>
>> 5. C-g
>>
>> This leaves the inactive minibuffer selected:
>
> But C-x o will select another window, right?

Right, but thereafter any use of the minibuffer leaves the minibuffer
selected at the end, that is until I type C-x o again.

Anyway, I can no longer reproduce the recipe in the OP following:

Fix wrong handling of minibuffers when frames get iconified/made invisible
c873d16af6 2021-05-06 10:48:14 +0000
https://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=c873d16af61ae9b956c6dd6d9e50ebad2bb7666e

So I'm merging this report with bug#47766.  As Gregory points out, the
related bug#48249 remains.

Thanks,

-- 
Basil