Subject: Re: bug#48179: bookmark-fontify [PATCH]

From: Colin Baxter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 10:41:53 +0100

>>>>> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

    > Colin Baxter <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> I have turned bookmark-fontify off because I found it too
    >> confusing with a feature of bm-bookmark
    >> <https://github.com/joodland/bm>, which I use. I believe
    >> bm-bookmark is popular.

    > Can you describe the confusion in the interaction between this
    > package and the new fontification?

As I understand it, both "bm-bookmark" and the bookmark-fontify feature
of the built-in "bookmark" use a colored bar in the bookmarked file to
indicate that the file has been bookmarked. Whereas bookmark-fontify
places the bar on the first line of the bookmarked file, bm-bookmark can
place it at any user-selected position. I use both bm-bookmark and the
built-in bookmark for different purposes and I prefer the colorising to
be restricted to the former.

Perhaps I should add in fairness that bm-bookmark does allow other means
of indicating the presence of a bookmark, but the colored bar is the
default.

Best wishes,

Colin.