Subject: Re: bug#48179: bookmark-fontify [PATCH]

From: Colin Baxter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 09:49:13 +0100

>>>>> Bastien  <[email-masked]> writes:

    > Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> Boruch Baum <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> 
    >>> It's not *my* emacs. I only have access to debian emacs locally;
    >>> the data I gave you was from the URL I had for the on-line cgit
    >>> repository for emacs, at gnu.org. Here's a second patch, based
    >>> upon hopefully the most current URL, and with the additional
    >>> jump code.
    >> 
    >> Thanks; applied to Emacs 28 without any problems.

    > Just a quick warning: Org contains two features called "capture"
    > and "refile".  "Capturing" adds notes or tasks to an Org buffer
    > from other Emacs buffers.  "Refiling" moves a Org headline under
    > another one, either in the current Org buffer or in another
    > (declared) Org file.

    > With this change, the Org refiled/captured headlines get fontified
    > and it might surprise many users until they find out that
    > fontification is related to this bookmark feature.

    > There is also dired and, of course, normal bookmarked files: I
    > guess some users may be really confused--at least those who don't
    > know to M-x customize-face RET at point to guess what this is all
    > about.

    > What do you think?  Shall we turn bookmark-fontify off by default?

    > I for one do like the feature and customized bookmark-face to suit
    > my needs, but I wonder about others.

I have turned bookmark-fontify off because I found it too confusing with
a feature of bm-bookmark <https://github.com/joodland/bm>, which I
use. I believe bm-bookmark is popular.

Best wishes,

Colin.