Subject: Re: bug#48179: bookmark-fontify [PATCH]

From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 13:25:08 -0400

On 2021-05-05 17:39, Bastien wrote:
> With this change, the Org refiled/captured headlines get fontified and
> it might surprise many users until they find out that fontification is
> related to this bookmark feature.

What are the steps to reproduce this? I don't use those org features, so
I would be starting at square one.

> There is also dired and, of course, normal bookmarked files: I guess
> some users may be really confused--at least those who don't know to
> M-x customize-face RET at point to guess what this is all about.

I don't understand the confusion scenario. The scenario I imagine is:

  a) User navigates POINT to location of desired bookmark

  b) User creates bookmark

  c) User gets immediate (and prominent) visual feedback

  d) User recalls dictum "Correlation is not causality", coughs
     deeply, and lights up another cigarette.

> What do you think?  Shall we turn bookmark-fontify off by default?

I understand the current emacs policy is not to surprise anyone with new
behavior, so I expect Eli Zaretskii would insist it be off by default.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0