Subject: Re: bug#48179: bookmark-fontify [PATCH]

From: Bastien <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 11:57:08 +0200

Boruch Baum <[email-masked]> writes:

> What are the steps to reproduce this? I don't use those org features, so
> I would be starting at square one.

1. C-x C-f test.org RET
2. C-c [ (to include test.org in the agenda files)
3. Add this contents to the buffer:

   * A headline to refile

   * A headline where to refile it

4. Put the point at the beginning of "A headline to refile"
5. C-c C-w (or M-x org-refile RET)
6. Select "* A headline where to refile it"

Now the refiled headline is fontified with bookmark-face because Org
adds a bookmark to help you go back to the refile location.

>> There is also dired and, of course, normal bookmarked files: I guess
>> some users may be really confused--at least those who don't know to
>> M-x customize-face RET at point to guess what this is all about.
>
> I don't understand the confusion scenario. The scenario I imagine is:
>
>   a) User navigates POINT to location of desired bookmark

I would say that the confusion arises because

1. The user does not do anything regarding bookmarking

2. The buffer get fontified but he does not know why

3. The user cannot guess why it has been fontified because he does not
   know to M-x customize-face RET

> I understand the current emacs policy is not to surprise anyone with new
> behavior, so I expect Eli Zaretskii would insist it be off by default.

I don't insist on anything.

I'm open to turning org-capture-bookmark to nil by default in Org to
solve the issue for Org.

But again, this is not just Org.  I think many people have bookmarks
they don't even remember, e.g. in dired buffers.  If they see such a
fontified file in dired, they will just wonder what happened.

My suggestion would be to interactively ask the user to customize
bookmarks-fontify on the first C-x r m hit, so that he knows what's
in there for him.

-- 
 Bastien