Subject: bug#48166: Dont stop the upgrade process - Better guix handling when Package failed to build

From: bo0od <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 01:00:02 +0000

> I think you can use `guix package --upgrade . --keep-going`:

Thank you for the hint, sorry i didnt know this command exist.

Currently i cant test this because i dont have a package which has an 
error in the building (previous icedove bug should be fixed) to see how 
this is going to go.

- First question:

Why this is not default? and what not default should be:

--stop-at-error or --dont-proceed-error ..(or whatever)

- Second question:

Does it show the error at the end or during the upgrade or both (same as 
my example before)? So user is aware that one or more of his packages 
didnt upgraded.

- If second question is yes then that command can replace 
--do-not-upgrade in my previous workaround faster implementation but not 
ultimate.

Leo Famulari:
> On Sun, May 02, 2021 at 08:29:31PM +0000, bo0od wrote:
>> Current (manual) solution is:
>>
>> guix package --upgrade . --do-not-upgrade x
> 
> I think you can use `guix package --upgrade . --keep-going`:
> 
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Common-Build-Options.html
> 
> --keep-going
> -k
> 
>      Keep going when some of the derivations fail to build; return only once all the builds have either completed or failed.
> 
>      The default behavior is to stop as soon as one of the specified derivations has failed.
>