Subject: bug#48162: closed (Re: bug#48162: 28.0.50; Resizing using set-frame-width doesn't expand mode-line)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 12:51:02 +0000

Your bug report

#48162: 28.0.50; Resizing using set-frame-width doesn't expand mode-line

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
48162: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=48162
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#48162: 28.0.50; Resizing using set-frame-width doesn't expand mode-line
From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
To: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 13:50:00 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Mon, May 03, 2021 at 09:10:22AM +0530, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
> Alan Third <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I think the attached works. I finally managed to reproduce the bug and
> > realised that the offscreen buffer's size doesn't really have anything
> > to do with what Emacs thinks the frame size is, so I've separated its
> > resizing code out.
> 
> This patch worked for me.

Thanks. I think I'll just push this for now.
-- 
Alan Third

Subject: 28.0.50; Resizing using set-frame-width doesn't expand mode-line
From: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 21:12:41 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This is occurring on MacOS build. Branch: master.
Steps:
1. ./src/emacs -Q
2. M-x set-frame-width RET 160 RET

Result: Frame size is increased but mode-line still has original width.

Probably one of these commits caused the issue:
a65eb23f5cbf1ff408585574e4c95a9eebf2a9dc
6b2d017ead856c244a0b5c5a162254094877bc54

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin20.4.0, NS appkit-2022.44 Version 11.3 (Build 20E232))
 of 2021-05-02 built on mb2.local
Repository revision: a65eb23f5cbf1ff408585574e4c95a9eebf2a9dc
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2022
System Description:  macOS 11.3

Configured features:
ACL DBUS GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY
KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  direnv-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug gnus-cite mail-extr flyspell ispell gnus-async
gnus-ml hl-line disp-table nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnml nnfolder epa-file
gnutls network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache .gnus ebdb-message sendmail ebdb-gnus gnus-msg
conf-mode vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs eglot
array filenotify jsonrpc ert pp ewoc debug backtrace xref flymake-proc
flymake warnings project elec-pair display-line-numbers vc-git ol-eww
eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
gnus-search gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum
shr kinsoku svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit ol-docview
doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif dired dired-loaddefs ol-bibtex bibtex
ol-bbdb ol-w3m init savehist desktop frameset ob-plantuml ob-sql ob-css
ob-js ob-java ob-C cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ob-python python tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell
parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp ob-R ebdb-mua ebdb-com ebdb-format ebdb
mailabbrev eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe eieio-base pcase timezone
direnv diff-mode dash po-mode sesman vc vc-dispatcher edmacro kmacro
clojure-mode lisp-mnt align imenu rust-utils thingatpt rust-mode rx
rust-rustfmt rust-playpen rust-compile compile text-property-search
rust-cargo org-mime ox-org ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match
rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util
ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox org-element
avl-tree generator org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring org-list org-faces org-entities time-date org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat advice
org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs noutline outline delight hideshow tex crm texmathp cl-extra
help-mode finder-inf use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight
use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode
use-package-core server avoid paren cus-load tex-site info early-init
package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 657665 32701)
 (symbols 48 41648 1)
 (strings 32 179715 12671)
 (string-bytes 1 5599709)
 (vectors 16 74780)
 (vector-slots 8 915326 45460)
 (floats 8 335 61)
 (intervals 56 741 0)
 (buffers 992 41))

-- 
Regards,
Pankaj Jangid

GnuPG Fingerprint: 0B62 7424 3B26 A911 052A DDE6 7C95 6E6F F858 7689