Subject: Re: bug#4816: change of coding system without inquiry

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 13:55:00 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > FWIW, in the past users explicitly expressed annoyance by these
>> > questions.  The request was to use the "native" encoding silently.  By
>> > introducing back this question, we are restoring that annoyance.
>> 
>> Perhaps it's time to make a decision now -- to not add a change like this?
>
> I'm still not convinced we need this.  But if people think otherwise,
> we could have an opt-in feature to ask such questions.

There was no response to this, so I'm guessing there wasn't much
enthusiasm for adding prompting like this, so I'm re-closing this bug
report.

And as you say:

> This is a rare use case.  It's possible that just saying
>
>   (prefer-coding-system 'latin-1)
>
> is all that's needed to get the required prompt back.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no