Subject: bug#48153: 28.0.50; minor mode keymaps should not override keymap given to read-from-minibuffer

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2021 10:05:22 -0400

> Sorry I missed a reproduction step. You have to turn on the minor mode for
> the minibuffers. In my config there actually is a global minor mode that
> turns the minor mode on even for the minibuffer.
>
> In Emacs 27, turning the minor mode on inside the minibuffer would not
> override the key map given to read-from-minibuffer.

It would have helped to provide a precise recipe to start with, but
indeed there's been a change in Emacs-28, in that the minibuffer now is
setup in its own major mode, which may have the side-effect of enabling the
buffer-local minor modes made global via `define-globalized-minor-mode`
in some cases where this didn't happen before.
[ I consider this change as a bug-fix.  ]

Note that `define-globalized-minor-mode` distinguishes between its MODE
argument and the TURN-ON function specifically so that the mode can be
enabled only in those buffers where it makes sense.

So if your globalized minor mode shouldn't be used in minibuffers, you
need to tweak its TURN-ON such that it tests `minibufferp` like in
Gregory's example.

> Because the minibuffer does not behave like any other buffers.  Setting
> `minor-mode-overriding-map-alist` has no effect, so I think either the

I can't think of any reason why that would be the case.  Do you have
a simple test case (your `ido-resurrect-keybinding` is too complex for
my little brain to understand what it's expected to do).

        Stefan