Subject: Re: bug#48153: 28.0.50; minor mode keymaps should not override keymap given to read-from-minibuffer

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2021 13:12:49 +0000

>>> Why would they not?  The minibuffer behaves, in that respect, like any 
>>> other buffer.  Note that they do so only when the minor mode is 
>>> enabled in the minibuffer.
>>
>> Because the minibuffer does not behave like any other buffers. Setting 
>> `minor-mode-overriding-map-alist` has no effect, so I think either the 
>> minibuffer really needs to behave like any other buffer, or 
>> special-cased and documented the ways it differs from regular buffers.
>
> I admit that I've lost the context in this discussion.  I'm CC'ing 
> Stefan in the hope he could tell whether we do or don't have a problem 
> here; if Stefan is unable to do that, either, we will unfortunately have 
> to get back to the beginning and explain what kind of problems the 
> current behavior causes.  Because in general what Jimmy described in the 
> original report sounds the expected behavior to me.
>

I admit I'm lost, too.  The description of the problem has changed several 
times, and what was described in the original report is the actual 
behavior.  Of course I may be missing something; I'm not fortunate enough 
to have a crystal ball, like Stefan ;-)