Subject: Re: bug#48145: Quoting of when argument in expansion of declare obsolete

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 09:03:11 +0200

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> I noticed statements like these in loaddefs.el, and found the quoting of
> the final WHEN argument a bit unexpected:
>
> (make-obsolete 'gnus-intersection 'seq-intersection '"28.1")
>
> I guess it is because of how byte-run--set-obsolete (and friends) is defined.
> Does it need to quote the `when' argument, since `when' is documented to
> be a string?

Grepping through the tree, we seem to have no non-string `when's, so
removing the ' should be safe.

We could also tweak things like

(function-put 'defmethod 'doc-string-elt '3)

I guess...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no