Subject: bug#4814: closed (Re: bug#4814: keyboard and system bug with Emacs CVS current through 2009-10-15 on w32)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2019 20:21:02 +0000

Your bug report

#4814: keyboard and system bug with Emacs CVS current through 2009-10-15 on  w32

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
4814: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=4814
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#4814: keyboard and system bug with Emacs CVS current through 2009-10-15 on w32
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: MON KEY <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2019 21:20:14 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> MON KEY <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Emacs from CVS current through 2009-10-15 is not correctly interacting
>> with my system - WinXP Service Pack 3.
>>
>> There is a low level conflict somewhere related to Emacs'
>> keyboard/server interaction with the rest of the system.
>>
>> Specifically, I am experiencing a bug wherein the application Xkeymacs
>> Version 3.47 :SEE (URL `http://www.cam.hi-ho.ne.jp/oishi/indexen.html')
>> is no longer able to recognize Emacs application/process nor can it
>> override Emacs system level interface w/ keyboard.
>>
>> The current failure has not occurred with _any_ previous Emacs
>> distributions/builds in the past. Nor have I experienced a conflict of
>> this sort vis a vis Xkeymacs and _any_ other application. This is
>> happening on the Emacs side. Lennart and I have already verified that
>> the bug has been introduced by his build/compilation.
>>
>> I'm including the config data from the three separate builds - two
>> verified working one not-working. The only difference that I see are the
>> compiler and flags. These flags shouldn't affect what is happening w/re
>> to the way keyboard interaction is failing for the emacsen's interaction
>> with the rest of the system. The proof is that I have never had this
>> problem before w/ Emacs or _any_ other application on this machine.
>>
>> Emacs 23.1.1 of 2009-07-30 on SOFT-MJASON                    <- WORKS
>> Emacs 23.1.50.1 of 2009-06-30 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)   <- WORKS
>> Emacs 23.1.50.1 of 2009-10-15 on LENNART-69DE564 (unpatched) <- FAILS
>> Emacs 23.1.50.1 of 2009-10-13 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)   <- FAILS
>
> This bug was reported 10 years ago.  Are you still seeing this on a
> modern version of Emacs?

More information was requested, but none was given within 11 weeks, so
I'm closing this bug.  If this is still an issue, please reply to this
email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can reopen the
bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: keyboard and system bug with Emacs CVS current through 2009-10-15 on w32
From: MON KEY <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:29:45 -0400

Emacs from CVS current through 2009-10-15 is not correctly interacting
with my system - WinXP Service Pack 3.

There is a low level conflict somewhere related to Emacs'
keyboard/server interaction with the rest of the system.

Specifically, I am experiencing a bug wherein the application Xkeymacs
Version 3.47 :SEE (URL `http://www.cam.hi-ho.ne.jp/oishi/indexen.html')
is no longer able to recognize Emacs application/process nor can it
override Emacs system level interface w/ keyboard.

The current failure has not occurred with _any_ previous Emacs
distributions/builds in the past. Nor have I experienced a conflict of
this sort vis a vis Xkeymacs and _any_ other application. This is
happening on the Emacs side. Lennart and I have already verified that
the bug has been introduced by his build/compilation.

I'm including the config data from the three separate builds - two
verified working one not-working. The only difference that I see are the
compiler and flags. These flags shouldn't affect what is happening w/re
to the way keyboard interaction is failing for the emacsen's interaction
with the rest of the system. The proof is that I have never had this
problem before w/ Emacs or _any_ other application on this machine.

Emacs 23.1.1 of 2009-07-30 on SOFT-MJASON                    <- WORKS
Emacs 23.1.50.1 of 2009-06-30 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)   <- WORKS
Emacs 23.1.50.1 of 2009-10-15 on LENNART-69DE564 (unpatched) <- FAILS
Emacs 23.1.50.1 of 2009-10-13 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)   <- FAILS

;;; ==============================
;;; This is the most recent Lennart unpatched from CVS.
:DOES-NOT-WORK

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-10-15 on LENNART-69DE564
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/g/include -fno-crossjumping'

Important settings:
 value of $LC_ALL: nil
 value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
 value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
 value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
 value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
 value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
 value of $LC_TIME: nil
 value of $LANG: ENU
 value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
 locale-coding-system: cp1252
 default enable-multibyte-characters: t

;;; ==============================
;;; I've also verified this build.
:WORKS

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-07-30 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'

Important settings:
 value of $LC_ALL: nil
 value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
 value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
 value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
 value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
 value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
 value of $LC_TIME: nil
 value of $LANG: ENU
 value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
 locale-coding-system: cp1252
 default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

;;; ==============================
;;; I've moved back to this build
:WORKS

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-06-30 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --cflags -Ic:/g/include'

Important settings:
 value of $LC_ALL: nil
 value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
 value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
 value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
 value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
 value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
 value of $LC_TIME: nil
 value of $LANG: ENU
 value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
 locale-coding-system: cp1252
 default-enable-multibyte-characters: t