Subject: Re: bug#48137: 27.2; `package-install-file' fails when loading a package file with DOS line endings

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 09:59:01 -0400

>> From: Ioannis Kappas <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 10:09:07 +0100
>> Cc: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>> 
>> On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 2:52 PM Ioannis Kappas <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> > I shall have a look next whether we could always load the package with
>> > `insert-file-contents-literally' but parse headers with the correct
>> > encoding (`find-operation-coding-system' looks like a promising fn
>> > to determine the correct encoding from a literal file buffer).
>> 
>> Please find below a patch to read package headers from a temporarily
>> decoded buffer, while keeping the literal buffer (which will be used
>> to install the package) intact.
>
> Stefan, any comments?

No particular comment from me, except: this is tricky enough that
it would benefit from some regression tests.

        Stefan