Subject: Re: bug#48137: 27.2; `package-install-file' fails when loading a package file with DOS line endings

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 14:34:45 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 15:41:47 -0400
> 
> > I think it's wrong for package.el to try to decode these files.  It
> > should deliver the files to the disk exactly as they are received
> > through the wire.  And the only safe way of doing that is to treat
> > these files as raw bytes.
> 
> I'm not sure what you're referring to here.

To the suggestion to decode *.el files by package.el as part of the
installation.

> In the OP's case, i.e. `package-install-file` (which is a seldom used
> functionality, not part of the "normal" `package-install`) the file doesn't go
> through the wire: it's already "local" and we currently implement this
> code on top of `package-install-from-buffer`, so it has to work
> correctly with an already-decoded buffer.

If this works with buffer text, then how are DOS EOLs come into play
here?  There are no CRLF pairs in decoded buffer text.