Subject: Re: bug#48137: 27.2; `package-install-file' fails when loading a package file with DOS line endings

From: Ioannis Kappas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 18:47:34 +0100

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 2:51 PM Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > I don't think this is TRT, because insert-file-contents also decodes
> > the character encoding, not just the EOL encoding.
>
> I think for `.el` files it's actually correct to decode the character
> encoding here (it's maybe not necessary, but I think it's at least
> as correct as what we do now, since `package-install-from-buffer`
> expects a "normal" buffer, hence for `.el` buffers it expects one where
> characters have been decoded).
>

Thanks Stefan. Does this also apply to the only other use of
`insert-file-contents-literally' in 'package,? In particular
`package--with-response-buffer-1' is referenced by
`package-check-signature' and `package--download-one-archive'.

(I am personally more in favor of supporting DOS files, because it
makes the caller's life easier on MS-Windows and brings them on par
with Unix, though Eli's concern has to be addressed first)