Subject: bug#48134: When sitting on top of a M-x item in the manual

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 10:59:15 +0200

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]> writes:

> Do (info "(emacs) Colors")
> Now put the cursor on top of
> ‘M-x list-colors-display’
> and hope emacs realizes it... but it doesn't so we end up typing
> <snip>
> ah, finally we can hit RET.
>
> One would think some default would show up based on what our cursor was
> on or something.

Note that M-n does the sort of "mind-reading" you're looking for,
IIUC:

- put cursor on top of ‘M-x list-colors-display’
- M-x M-n

Would that be an acceptable answer for you?  If not, maybe there are
some completion UIs that are more eager and will default to whatever M-n
suggests; none comes to mind at the moment, but I'd be surprised if none
existed.

All in all though, maybe "buttonizing" ‘M-x foo’ commands in Info
manuals would make sense: one could then trigger them with RET or
mouse-1, and reach them with TAB; no idea how hard it would be to
implement.