Subject: bug#48129: 28.0.50; Per file-handle (stdin, stdout and stderr) process-connection-type variable

From: Thomas Hisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 01:10:10 +0200

I would like that the configuration options of the three file
handles (stdin, stdout and stderr), when a new process is created
in emacs, are improved.  What I'm specifically asking for is to
add support for individually specifying for each file-handle
whether it should be connected to a pty or not.  Currently the
value of the process-connection-type variable applies to all
three file handles at once, which leads to a problem with the
following use-case:

Usually a program outputs ANSI escape sequences when its stdout
file-handle is connected to a pty. It is currently not possible to
communicate with a subprocess that is created by `start-file-process' by
writing to a pty (via stdin) and avoiding that this subprocess writes
ANSI escape sequences to stdout. This use-case is needed by magit, which
currently doesn't have support for displaying ANSI escape sequences but
it needs to communicate with it's started subprocesses via a PTY
(https://github.com/magit/magit/issues/3549).

The reason why I need this feature is that ANSI escape sequences may be
output by git-hooks (scripts stored in .git/hooks) if git is run from a
terminal/pty. Magit uses (setq process-connection-type t) when creating
subprocesses s.t. it can commuicate via the stdin file-handle that is
connected to a pty with the subprocess.

Here is an small example that shows that all file handles can
either be connected to a pty (process-connection-type t) or none
of them (process-connection-type nil).

(let ((process-connection-type nil)
      (process-buf (generate-new-buffer "*temp*")))
    (apply #'start-file-process
           "isatty"
           process-buf
           "/tmp/output-isatty.py" nil))

The output-isatty.pt looks like

#!/usr/bin/env python3
import sys
print(f'in: {sys.stdin.isatty()}')
print(f'out: {sys.stdout.isatty()}')
print(f'err: {sys.stderr.isatty()}')

If the above elisp code is run

in: False
out: False
err: False

is written to the *temp* buffer if process-connection-type is nil.
And

in: True
out: True
err: True

is written to the *temp* buffer if process-connection-type is t.

In the 'subprocess' and the 'pty' modules in the python stdlib the above
use-case is already supported (see the possible values for the
stdin,stdout and stderr params). Here is a small demo that attaches a
pty to stdin and two normal pipes to stdout and stderr:

import os
import pty
import subprocess

master, slave = pty.openpty()

# see https://docs.python.org/3.5/library/subprocess.html#popen-constructor
proc = subprocess.Popen(
    ('./t.py',),
    stdin=slave,
    stdout=subprocess.PIPE,
    stderr=subprocess.PIPE,
)

os.close(slave)
with os.fdopen(master, 'wb', 0) as stdin:
    stdin.write(b'hello\n')
    out, err = proc.communicate()

print('RETC:')
print(proc.returncode)
print('OUT:')
print(out.decode(), end='')
print('ERR:')
print(err.decode(), end='')

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.28, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-04-29 built on NBPF1PQX4B
Repository revision: 0e8c8628854d786e2f99dd2ac35ace88a5ee7924
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Fedora 33 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-march=native -O3' --prefix=/opt/emacs --with-pgtk
 --with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-gif --with-tiff --with-modules
 --with-native-compilation --with-json'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/d

Minor modes in effect:
  persp-mode: t
  counsel-projectile-mode: t
  counsel-mode: t
  ivy-rich-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  global-ethan-wspace-mode: t
  ethan-wspace-mode: t
  ethan-wspace-clean-many-nls-eof-mode: t
  ethan-wspace-clean-no-nl-eof-mode: t
  ethan-wspace-clean-eol-mode: t
  ethan-wspace-clean-tabs-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-hi-lock-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  winum-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  thi::spell-fu-mode: t
  spell-fu-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  idle-highlight-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  highlight-function-calls-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  flx-ido-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  envrc-global-mode: t
  envrc-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  outline-minor-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  prettify-symbols-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/thomas.hisch/.emacs.d/user-lisp/custom hides /opt/emacs/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/custom

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail shortdoc cl-print url-cache
rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode facemenu nxml-util nxml-enc
xmltok vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs
hippie-exp magit-extras origami origami-parsers origami-util yapfify
python pulse tramp-archive tramp-gvfs zeroconf deadgrep perspective
org-element avl-tree generator ol-eww eww url-queue mm-url ol-rmail
ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar
ezimage dframe gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus
dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader ol-docview doc-view jka-compr
image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m org ob ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs vc-git misearch multi-isearch mule-util
magit-bookmark bookmark counsel-projectile counsel swiper ivy-rich
ivy-hydra ivy ivy-faces ivy-overlay colir
smart-mode-line-respectful-theme smart-mode-line-dark-theme
sanityinc-tomorrow-night-theme ethan-wspace hideshow url-tramp ims-jira
saveplace ffap paren delsel hi-lock thi-projects winner py-isort
format-all language-id reformatter winum which-key wgrep-ag vterm-toggle
tramp-sh vterm vterm-module term/xterm xterm visual-regexp
visual-fill-column undo-tree tree-sitter-langs tree-sitter-langs-build
tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode tree-sitter-hl tree-sitter
tree-sitter-load tree-sitter-cli tsc tsc-dyn tsc-dyn-get dired-aux
tsc-obsolete typescript-mode stickyfunc-enhance semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local
cedet ssh-config-mode sphinx-doc spell-fu smex smart-mode-line
rich-minority savehist rust-utils rust-mode rust-rustfmt rust-playpen
rust-compile rust-cargo rg rg-info-hack rg-menu rg-ibuffer rg-result
wgrep-rg wgrep rg-history rg-header cus-edit pp cus-load
rainbow-delimiters python-docstring pyimport shut-up protobuf-mode
paredit lsp-ui lsp-ui-flycheck lsp-ui-doc goto-addr lsp-ui-imenu
lsp-ui-peek lsp-ui-sideline face-remap lsp-ui-util dap-chrome dap-utils
kubernetes kubernetes-overview kubernetes-services kubernetes-secrets
kubernetes-namespaces kubernetes-jobs kubernetes-pod-line
kubernetes-ingress kubernetes-errors kubernetes-nodes
kubernetes-statefulsets kubernetes-deployments kubernetes-contexts
kubernetes-configmaps kubernetes-logs kubernetes-labels kubernetes-pods
kubernetes-yaml kubernetes-loading-container kubernetes-commands
kubernetes-utils kubernetes-timers kubernetes-kubectl kubernetes-process
term disp-table ehelp kubernetes-props kubernetes-popups
kubernetes-state kubernetes-vars kubernetes-modes kubernetes-ast
idle-highlight-mode helm-projectile helm-files helm-tags helm-buffers
helm-occur helm-grep helm-regexp helm-utils helm-locate helm-help
helm-types helm async-bytecomp helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu
helm-source helm-multi-match helm-lib async highlight-indentation
highlight-function-calls gerrit gerrit-rest recentf forge-list
forge-commands forge-semi forge-bitbucket buck forge-gogs gogs
forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab forge-github ghub-graphql treepy
gsexp ghub gnutls forge-notify forge-revnote forge-pullreq forge-issue
forge-topic forge-post forge-repo forge forge-core forge-db closql
emacsql-sqlite emacsql emacsql-compiler url-http url-auth url-gw
magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-popup magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func magit-diff smerge-mode diff diff-mode git-commit log-edit
message rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log magit-core
magit-libgit libgit libegit2 magit-autorevert magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor server magit-mode transient
magit-git magit-utils crm flycheck-package package-lint let-alist finder
flycheck find-func flx-ido ido flx evil evil-keybindings
evil-integration evil-maps evil-commands reveal flyspell ispell
evil-jumps evil-command-window evil-types evil-search evil-ex
evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core advice evil-common
windmove calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs rect evil-digraphs evil-vars
equake envrc inheritenv ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind
ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs dumb-jump
popup dracula-theme dired dired-loaddefs doom-themes doom-themes-base
dap-mode dap-launch posframe dap-overlays lsp-mode lsp-protocol
yasnippet-snippets yasnippet tree-widget wid-edit spinner network-stream
puny nsm rmc inline imenu ht ewoc epg epg-config
color-theme-sanityinc-tomorrow cargo cargo-process docker-tramp
tramp-cache tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat shell pcomplete ls-lisp format-spec markdown-mode
edit-indirect color bufler projectile grep compile text-property-search
comint ansi-color ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs thingatpt
pretty-hydra hydra lv bufler-group-tree magit-section f s
dash-functional dash noutline outline vc vc-dispatcher diminish
autorevert filenotify quelpa-use-package parse-time iso8601 time-date
quelpa mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr lisp-mnt help-fns radix-tree use-package
use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key use-package-core finder-inf xref project
ring bug-reference xdg tab-line pcase easy-mmode edmacro kmacro info
package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs password-cache
json map url-vars comp comp-cstr warnings subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs
cl-extra help-mode seq byte-opt gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp
byte-compile cconv iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces
cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process nativecomp emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2215206 1909118)
 (symbols 48 145665 937)
 (strings 32 583224 150267)
 (string-bytes 1 18958140)
 (vectors 16 200384)
 (vector-slots 8 6002760 1568162)
 (floats 8 1240 1330)
 (intervals 56 119338 63212)
 (buffers 992 87))
Diese E-Mail enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

IMS Nanofabrication GmbH FN: 208021 p, FB-Gericht: Wien; Sitz: Schreygasse 3, 1020, Vienna (Austria),Tel. +43 1 214 48 94; E-Mail: [email-masked]; DVR-Nr: 0374369; www.ims.co.at