Subject: Re: bug#48125: 28.0.50; Display garbled by emoji variation sequence

From: Filipp Gunbin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 19:20:27 +0300

On 04/05/2021 19:05 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Filipp Gunbin <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 18:34:09 +0300
>>
>> BTW, I see that emoji, as well as other characters from fonts different
>> from my selected one (Terminal has some font fallback logic), have
>> different width.  Is it ok for Emacs if a terminal emulator uses
>> different widths for different chars?
>
> OK in what sense?  On TTY frames layout and rendering are left to the
> terminal emulator; if it can handle this situation, Emacs won't care.

The effect of different widths is, of course, different number of chars
per line (easily seen in Terminal with emoji or Asian scripts).  Does
Emacs make assumptions about number of columns per line?  That's what I
meant.

Thanks.