Subject: bug#48117: 28.0.50; Update of loaddefs.el during normal build is unreliable

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 15:47:51 +0000

>>> These updates should happen automatically, they should not require 
>>> people to "make bootstrap" or manually regenerate loaddefs.el.
>>
>> Would it not make sense to include these changes in their respective 
>> commits?
>
> loaddefs.el is a generated file (and so are the other *-loaddefs.el 
> files).
>

Ah, yes, indeed.

>> Another solution would be to have a cron job running somewhere and 
>> automatically pushing these changes once a day or so.
>
> How can we do that for files that aren't versioned?
>

I have two questions:

Why are these files not versioned?

The generated lisp/loaddefs.el file is AFAICS identical to the 
lisp/ldefs-boot.el (after calling admin/update_autogen -L), which is 
versioned.  Why is the lisp/loaddefs.el generated?