Subject: Re: bug#48108: Wishlist: Command to remove redundant eln cache directories [native-comp]

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 14:54:32 +0100

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 2:42 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

Why is this weird?  These files are needed early at startup, when Emacs is
> still unable to do anything fancy, so how is it "weird" that relative file
> names are interpreted as relative to where Emacs runs?  Are you aware of
> any
> other programs that interpret relative file names differently?
>

It is used also for files that are not required early at startup (unless
you consider "early at startup" native-compiling the .el/.elc files
required or loaded in init.el).

If the effect surprises you, don't add relative file names to the variable.

For sure.

> You aren't supposed to anyway; AFAIR this option is only used during the
> build, if at all.
>

 I don't disagree, but that's not evident reading
native-comp-eln-load-path's docstring.

Anyway, the fact that if you set a relative dir ./test-compile in that
variable both ~/.emacs.d/test-compile and src/test-compile directories are
created is also a bug.