Subject: bug#48103: 28.0.50; tls connection failing on invoking package-list-packages (and other operations)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 16:45:59 +0200

* What I do:

emacs -Q
M-: (setq gnutls-log-level 1) RET
M-x package-list-packages RET

* The problem:

The update of the packages fails, from the *Messages* buffer:

Importing package-keyring.gpg...done
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) connecting to host: elpa.gnu.org
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) allocating credentials
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) setting the trustfile:  /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) gnutls callbacks
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) gnutls_init
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) got non-default priority string: NORMAL:%DUMBFW
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) setting the priority string
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) non-fatal error: Resource temporarily unavailable, try again.
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) connecting to host: elpa.nongnu.org
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) allocating credentials
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) setting the trustfile:  /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) gnutls callbacks
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) gnutls_init
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) got non-default priority string: NORMAL:%DUMBFW
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) setting the priority string
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) non-fatal error: Resource temporarily unavailable, try again. [5 times]
error in process sentinel: Error retrieving: https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/archive-contents (error connection-failed "connect" :host "elpa.nongnu.org" :service 443) [2 times]
Package refresh done
error in process sentinel: Error retrieving: https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/archive-contents (error connection-failed "connect" :host "elpa.gnu.org" :service 443) [2 times]

* Additional information:

M-x eww RET
Enter URL or keywords: https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/archive-contents

Works -- at least some times, hitting `g' a few times is might be
needed.

I am running emacs on a rather slow [Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @
1.60GHz] NetBSD 9.1 system.

(I'm running various rather similar builds of Emacs on faster GNU/Linux
systems which don't show this problem.  So this seems to be either
related to NetBSD or to the rather old hardware.)

cheers
sascha

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, i386-unknown-netbsdelf9.1)
 of 2021-04-28 built on tammy.lan.sha-bang.de
Repository revision: 0c7f1e2e42d6bf9f95e88c02d4e1ed9cb40693d8
Repository branch: master
System Description: NetBSD tammy.lan.sha-bang.de 9.1 NetBSD 9.1 (GENERIC) #0: Sun Oct 18 19:24:30 UTC 2020  [email-masked]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC i386

Configured using:
 'configure --disable-autodepend --without-ns --with-modules
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings --with-native-compilation
 --without-x --with-x-toolkit=no --without-xft --without-lcms2
 --without-rsvg 'CFLAGS=-O3 -mtune=native -march=native'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/pkg/lib
 -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib -Wl,-R/usr/lib -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib''

Configured features:
DBUS GMP GNUTLS LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY KQUEUE PDUMPER SOUND
THREADS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: eww

Minor modes in effect:
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail mm-archive message dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode format-spec eww xdg url-queue
thingatpt shr kinsoku image svg xml dom mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date mail-utils wid-edit
misearch multi-isearch mule-util gnutls network-stream url-http
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw
nsm rmc puny url-cache url-auth epg epg-config finder-inf package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map
url-vars comp comp-cstr warnings subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra
help-mode tool-bar seq cl-loaddefs cl-lib term/rxvt term/xterm xterm
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv jka-compr regexp-opt mwheel
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind kqueue multi-tty
make-network-process nativecomp emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 169120 16723)
 (symbols 24 11816 1)
 (strings 16 44676 3141)
 (string-bytes 1 1210362)
 (vectors 8 20945)
 (vector-slots 4 387505 25090)
 (floats 8 85 418)
 (intervals 28 2285 284)
 (buffers 572 24))