Subject: Re: bug#48079: Temporary files while building after native-comp merge

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2021 14:47:43 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I guess we can't set up a signal trap to delete the temp file if we're
>> being interrupted?
>
> You mean, in the Makefile?  That won't handle the cases where the
> compilation is manually invoked (e.g., from a running Emacs).

I'm not actually sure -- I don't know what the possibilities at our
disposal are here, really.  If we can catch this in Emacs, that'd be
nicer...  but can we?

Another thing I'm wondering about is why we write the subr.elc0EdJIV
file at all, and then apparently don't rename it to .elc immediately?
It seems to linger on in that name for a very long time?  But I haven't
actually looked at the code here.

It's easy to reproduce the behaviour here:

touch lisp/subr.el
make
wait a few seconds
C-c C-c a few times

and then you have a subr.elc0EdJIV file or two.

So is it writing the subr.elc0EdJIV file, then doing the .eln
compilation, and then moving subr.elc0EdJIV to subr.elc?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no