Subject: bug#48073: [External] : bug#48073: 27.2; [Eglot] Don't bind `completion-styles' buffer locally?

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 22:53:30 +0100

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 10:28 PM Drew Adams <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 1. I can't speak to what you say in your first paragraph,
> other than to say that I'm not surprised that this can
> cause problems.
>
> I expect (but will be relieved if it's not the case)
> that making global minibuffer variables buffer-local to
> the minibuffer will break behavior in my "alternative

Not to the minibuffer.  To the general buffer.  if your alternative
thing breaks like this, it will probably also break when the user
sets it legitimately.

In fact, I wonder if this is not also the case with the other UIs
that Augusto was having trouble with.

What I'm looking for is for a completion table-- a source
of completions -- to strongly suggest a completion style,
in case there's no explicit override by the user.

(Your other points kinda make sense, maybe, I didn't read
through all of them)

PS: Have you tried Eglot?  I wonder if Icicles works with it.  I admit
I've never tried Icicles myself, last time I tried was about 2006, but
i didn't even know how to load extensions very well.

Cheers,
João