Subject: bug#48071: 28.0.50: dired-guess-default: comply with docstring options [PATCH]

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 14:10:08 +0200

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> So the (only) remaining user visible change is that now all matching
> entries are considered instead of only the first one, which is actually
> a fix: the docstring of `dired-guess-shell-alist-user' describes it
> should work like that.

Well...  does it?  It's pretty vague on the issue.  And the comments
seem to contradict that:

;; * Parse `dired-guess-shell-alist-user' and
;;   `dired-guess-shell-alist-default' (in that order) for the first REGEXP
;;   that matches the first file in the file list.
;;
;; * If the REGEXP matches all the entries of the file list then evaluate
;;   COMMAND, which is either a string or a Lisp expression returning a
;;   string.  COMMAND may be a list of commands.
;;
;; * Return this command to `dired-guess-shell-command' which prompts user
;;   with it.  The list of commands is put into the list of default values.
;;   If a command is used successfully then it is stored permanently in
;;   `dired-shell-command-history'.

But this is pretty nonsensical -- it describes how the function what
implemented, but not really what to do when the rest of the files don't
match, or when more of them match "the first file".

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no