Subject: bug#48064: texlive-* packages fail to build non-deterministically

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 10:42:55 +0200

Hello!

Thiago Jung Bauermann <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I have bad news and good news. :-)
>
> Unfortunately, TeX Live 2021 still has this bug. I tested version 20210325 
> (which is the latest on the historic TeX Live FTP site), with subversion 
> tag texlive-2021.3 (which is the latest tag in the TeX Live repo).

Bah.  Still, if you have the whole texlive upgrade, we should apply it!

> The good news is that I found a simple workaround: use pdftex instead of 
> luatex to build the affected packages. I am currently building all packages 
> matching ‘^texlive’ a few times to find the ones needing this workaround.
> So far, I found these:
>
> • texlive-amsfonts
> • texlive-amscls
> • texlive-babel
> • texlive-babel-swedish
> • texlive-latex-amsmath
> • texlive-generic-babel-english
> • texlive-latex-cyrillic
> • texlive-latex-graphics
> • texlive-latex-tools

We haven’t heard from dev-luatex yet.  I think we should go with this
workaround for now (those build failures are frequently preventing
evaluations at <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/jobset/core-updates> from
completing, which is a real bummer).  Does using ‘pdftex’ rather than
‘luatex’ have an impact on the output of these packages?

Thanks!

Ludo’.