Subject: Re: [bug#48059] [PATCH] gnu: python-libtmux: Fix build by removing tests broken by tmux update

From: Edouard Klein <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 18:24:24 +0200

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice writes:

> Edouard,
>
> Edouard Klein 写道：
>> tmux update from 3.1c to 3.2 breaks two tests in this package by quoting the
>> returned value of a tmux call. No harm done, a fix upstream is unlikely.
>
> Hm... why's that?  Does upstream not support their own test suite?
>

The issue I opened last year about the two other tests failing is still
unresolved
https://github.com/tmux-python/libtmux/issues/281

There seems to be little ongoing development:
https://github.com/tmux-python/libtmux/commits/master

My suspicion is that the maintainer is using debian or another slow
distro that still use tmux 2, which I believe make the test pass (at
leat it did when I tested it last year)
https://packages.debian.org/buster/tmux

There is no way in Python to specify which version of tmux this is
supposed to run against. This is one of the strength of GNU Guix :)

So:
- the change in behaviour between tmux 2 and 3 is not
important enough to be noticeable in any of my use cases,
- I have little time,
- the maintainer upstream is likely using tmux 2, 

all-in-all, this makes me say that an upstream fix is unlikely because I
can't write it myself and nobody else is likely to, either.

> Thanks!
Thank you for maintaining Guix :)

> T G-R