Subject: bug#48058: closed (Re: bug#48058: tab-width's docstring)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 10:51:01 +0000

Your bug report

#48058: tab-width's docstring

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
48058: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=48058
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#48058: tab-width's docstring
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 13:49:48 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 05:20:12 -0500
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
>     Note that this variable doesn't necessarily affect the size of the
>     indentation step.  However, if the major mode's indentation facility
>     normally inserts one or more TAB characters, this variable will
>     affect the indentation step as well, even if `indent-tabs-mode' is
>     non-nil.
> 
> Otherwise LGTM, please install.

Thanks, done (with one minor deviation: the "normally" part is not
useful here).

Subject: tab-width's docstring
From: Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 10:11:30 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi All,

In Emacs 27.2 the docstring for `tab-width' reads:

"Distance between tab stops (for display of tab characters), in columns. 
NOTE: This controls the display width of a TAB character, and not the 
size of an indentation step."

But this seems to contradict to the ubiquitous role in actual 
indentation the option currently plays.  It is used by `insert-tab' 
directly.  `tab-to-tab-stop' uses it if `tab-stop-list' is nil, as it is 
by default.  `indent-relative' may use `tab-to-tab-stop'.  And, through 
`indent-relative' and `insert-tab', `tab-width' also affects 
`indent-for-tab-command'.

Am I missing something?  Or is this docstring the remnant of a previous 
change which was left behind?

Best regards,
Gustavo.