Subject: [bug#48033] [PATCH] gnu: public-inbox: Update to 1.6.1.

From: Kyle Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 20:59:11 -0400

Xinglu Chen writes:

> * gnu/packages/mail.scm (public-inbox): Update to 1.6.1.
> [synopsis]: Capitalize “git”.
> [description]: Likewise.
> ---
> I haven’t tested it thoroughly; ‘public-inbox-init‘ and
> ‘public-inbox-index’ seem to work fine.
>
> Cc: Kyle since you have been somewhat active on the public-inbox ML. :)

Thanks for updating this.

To add to your manual checks above (and to the passing test suite), I
tested out public-inbox-httpd with some inboxes I have locally, and
everything there seems to be working as expected.

I think the perl-filesys-notify-simple input should be dropped because
Filesys::Notify::Simple isn't used as of v1.6.0.  Linux::Inotify2 is
used instead, but it doesn't look like that's packaged for Guix yet.  I
believe public-inbox has some fallback behavior here so that
public-inbox-watch is still functional, but ideally Linux::Inotify2
would be added as an input with this update to 1.6.1.

Otherwise, this patch looks good to me, but fwiw there are a few
optional dependencies (already packaged in Guix) that could be added:

 * highlight (syntax highlight for associated code repositories)
 * perl-inline-c (nice to have for performance reasons)
 * perl-parse-recdescent (as of v1.6.0, used only for public-inbox-imapd)