Subject: Re: [PATCH wip-gnome v5 5/8] gnu: libsoup: Adjust inputs.

From: Leo Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 09:41:49 +0200

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 27.04.2021, 05:23 -0400 schrieb Raghav Gururajan:
> * gnu/packages/gnome.scm (libsoup)[inputs]: Add samba and
> move glib-networking to ...
> [propagated-inputs]: ... here.
> ---
>  gnu/packages/gnome.scm | 5 +++--
>  1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)
> 
> diff --git a/gnu/packages/gnome.scm b/gnu/packages/gnome.scm
> index 51a72c4e58..e9924b67a0 100644
> --- a/gnu/packages/gnome.scm
> +++ b/gnu/packages/gnome.scm
> @@ -4972,13 +4972,14 @@ libxml to ease remote use of the RESTful
> API.")
>       ;; libsoup-2.4.pc refers to all these.
>       `(("brotli" ,google-brotli)
>         ("glib" ,glib)
> +       ("glib-networking" ,glib-networking)
After looking at this more closely, the comment is a little misleading,
since the libsoup-2.4.pc does not actually refer to glib-networking. 
What is the rationale behind this propagation?
In v1 you claimed the .pc file mentions this, but I don't see any of
it:
libsoup-2.4.pc:Requires: glib-2.0 >=  2.58, gobject-2.0 >=  2.58, gio-
2.0 >=  2.58
libsoup-2.4.pc:Requires.private: libxml-2.0, sqlite3, libpsl >=  0.20,
libbrotlidec, zlib
libsoup-gnome-2.4.pc:Requires: libsoup-2.4
libsoup-gnome-2.4.pc:Requires.private: glib-2.0 >=  2.58, gobject-2.0
>=  2.58, gio-2.0 >=  2.58, libxml-2.0, sqlite3, libpsl >=  0.20,
libbrotlidec, zlib

In fact, I had a look at the libsoup source, and even there, using
2.99.4, which is the latest *unstable* release (as opposed to the
lastest stable release), the glib_deps from which the pkg-config file
is formed, says:
  glib_deps = [glib_dep, gobject_dep, gio_dep]

There doesn't even seem to be a pkg-config file for glib-networking.
(Note: I'm running my checks on master to avoid the rebuilds, that come
from wip-gnome, but wip-gnome appears to package the same version, so
there shouldn't be a difference)

Regards,
Leo