Subject: Re: bug#48024: glib-2.62.6 build fails i686

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2021 13:46:07 -0400

Hi,

Bone Baboon <[email-masked]> writes:
> How can I use the glib I have built in a system configuration while this
> fix or a variation of it makes it's way into the Guix master branch?

I guess that you'll need to set up a personal branch of Guix, like I do,
with a patch applied to the 'glib' package, and another patch applied to
'inetutils' (referring to <https://bugs.gnu.org/48214#35>).

My recommendation, for now, would be to do this:

(1) Set up your own git repository, with a personal branch that's the
    same as our official 'master' branch plus the additional patches
    that you need, and to periodically rebase this branch on top of our
    'master' branch.

(2) On all of your systems that need these customizations, pass the
    "--url=URL" and "--branch=BRANCH" options to "guix pull", each time
    you use that command.

There _might_ be a nicer way to set this up using channels, but I've
never used channels and am mostly ignorant of them.  Maybe someone else
can chime in on that point.

      Regards,
        Mark

-- 
Disinformation flourishes because many people care deeply about injustice
but very few check the facts.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>.