Subject: bug#48024: glib-2.62.6 build fails i686

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 23:01:22 -0400

Hi,  [added Efraim Flashner to the CC list]

Bone Baboon <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thank you for your helpful response.
>
> Would a patch like this that addresses test timeouts be good to have in
> the Guix repository?  It would help other Guix users who also run into
> test timeouts when building glib.

Good question!  The problem is that applying this patch would entail
rebuilding every package that depends on 'glib' for i686-linux, which is
likely on the order of thousands of packages.  By policy, we don't make
changes that require so many rebuilds on our 'master' branch.  Instead,
such changes must be made on 'core-updates', or possibly 'staging',
which are merged into 'master' a few times a year.

The plan seems to have been to remove the conditional on our
'core-updates' branch, so that the 'increase-test-timeout' phase would
be included on *all* architectures.  See the comment above the code:

  <https://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/glib.scm?id=b9fb13b28437a254683273094f189396a6e1421d#n231>

However, I see now that the 'increase-test-timeout' phase was recently
completely _removed_ by Efraim on our 'core-updates' branch a couple of
weeks ago, in the following commit:

  <https://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?h=core-updates&id=a24562af52d2f318c9e17be73393ddb4bd9e347c>

Efraim: What was the rationale for removing that phase?

I think it would be good to keep that phase, for the benefit of users
building 'glib' on slower machines.  I think the intent was to remove
the conditional, but to keep the body that's within the conditional.

What do you think?

      Regards,
        Mark

-- 
Disinformation flourishes because many people care deeply about injustice
but very few check the facts.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>.