Subject: bug#48023: download.html has better instructions for non-free systems

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 20:49:11 -0500

Severity: wishlist

On this page:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/download.html

We have better instructions for non-free systems than for free ones.
They include the exact commands you would need to run to install Emacs.

I suggest we add instructions for free operating systems as well.

I don't think this would mean a lot of work, as the commands rarely
change.  We could decide to only include instructions for the top 5 most
popular distributions, scientifically decided by searching online for
"most popular gnu linux distributions" or something:

- Debian/Ubuntu
- Fedora/RedHat
- Arch Linux
- OpenSUSE
- GNU Guix

And we could document in a comment to that file that our policy is to
be very restrictive with adding more (to avoid zealous fan of random
small distribution <foo> to ask it to be added).

Note that just the first entry in that list would probably already cover
a significant proportion of our GNU/Linux users.