Subject: Re: bug#48015: 28.0.50; ELPA package compilation fails

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 19:25:42 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Stefan,

>> - emacs -Q /sudo:: # Emacs 27.2 with builtin Tramp
>
> Since my account doesn't have sudo access here, I just hit `C-g` at the
> prompt.  I don't think it makes the difference (Tramp was loaded in any
> case), but I mention it for completeness.

Same here. Hitting C-g at the password prompt is not sufficient to
trigger the error for package installation.

Maybe you could use something else? "emacs -Q /ssh::" did the failing
test.

>> => Compilation error
>
> I don't get any error, neither with Debian testing's Emacs-27.1
> nor with the `emacs-27` branch.
>
> What error do you get?

I'm running a recent build of "GNU Emacs 27.2.50 (build 1,
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.27) of 2021-03-28" on Fedora
33. But I don't believe it matters.

The point seems to be that default-directory is remote, when you call
list-packages, and try to install Tramp 2.5.0.3. Emacs completely blocks then.

I have seen also other error messages during Tramp package compilation,
which I'm not able to reproduce just now. But let's fix the first
problem first.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.