Subject: Re: bug#47992: 27; 28; Phase out use of `equal` in `add-hook`, `remove-hook`

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 03:09:15 +0200

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> If you ask me: that problem exists mainly for end users and their init
> files, it's not that we have a problem in Emacs.  Instead we should try
> to provide a better tool for users to add stuff to hooks conveniently.
>
> Since the problem of identification is not trivial - how about forcing
> the user to specify a name?  How about a macro like
>
> (user-add-hook foo-hook my-configure-foo-keybindings
>    code...) ?

Some other languages have the ability to add names to anonymous
functions (yes, a contradiction in terms) to aid debugging and the like.
We could also extend our `lambda' with an optional name -- it seems like
that could be generally useful beyond this particular use case -- and
then this new add-hook function could refuse to accept name-less
lambdas...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no