Subject: Re: bug#47992: 27; 28; Phase out use of `equal` in `add-hook`, `remove-hook`

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 10:50:18 +0200

Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1. Do almost nothing, but document the behavior of `add/remove-hook`
> more precisely. Add a warning, that the functions should not be used
> with large/cyclic closures and an symbol indirection should be used in
> such scenarios. Generally it should be recommended to add symbols.

I've now added such a recommendation to the add-hook doc string in Emacs
28.

> 2. As you propose we could either add new `add/remove-hook-eq` variants.
> 3. Add an argument to the `add/remove-hook` functions, which allows to
> turn on `eq` equality.

Adding another argument to the functions doesn't seem all that
attractive...  but...  neither does adding a new pair of functions,
really...

I guess the doc change might have to suffice here.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no