Subject: bug#47987: 28.0.50; [native-comp] Can't compile ELN if EL and ELC reside in different directories

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 09:20:45 +0200

I use mu with its mu4e Emacs package for reading my mail.  I have it
checked out as

  ~/Repos/el/mu/

and the *.el files are in

  ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/.

Mu can be build with the meson build tool which places the build
artifacts in a separate build/ subdirectory, so the executables are in

  ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu/

and the *.elc files are in

  ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/.

I've added both ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/ and ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/ to
`load-path', so `C-h f mu4e' says

  mu4e is an interactive compiled Lisp function in ‘mu4e.el’.

i.e., it has loaded the compiled file and the help links to the source
file (probably because I've set `load-prefer-newer').  Perfect!

However, the native compiler complains that it cannot find the source
files in a *Warnings* buffer:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found for /home/horn/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e.elc Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found for /home/horn/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-vars.elc Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found for /home/horn/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-headers.elc Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found for /home/horn/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-utils.elc Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found for /home/horn/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-message.elc Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found for /home/horn/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-lists.elc Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found for /home/horn/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-proc.elc Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found for /home/horn/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-mark.elc Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found for /home/horn/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-compose.elc Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found for /home/horn/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-actions.elc Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found for /home/horn/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-draft.elc Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found for /home/horn/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-context.elc Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found for /home/horn/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view.elc Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found for /home/horn/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view-common.elc Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found for /home/horn/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view-gnus.elc Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found for /home/horn/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-main.elc Disable showing Disable logging
Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found for /home/horn/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-org.elc Disable showing Disable logging
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

As the no-native-comp emacs has no problem locating byte-compiled and
source file, the native-comp emacs shouldn't have that problem, too.

In the information below, see that mu4e's byte-compiled files are listed
as load-path-shadows, shadowing the source files.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 58, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.28, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-04-24 built on thinkpad-t440p
Repository revision: 72ac4461676c49b7c580c40c2df10e02411fd320
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101001
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-nativecomp'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE
XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: mu4e:main

Minor modes in effect:
  global-aggressive-indent-mode: t
  dynamic-completion-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  company-posframe-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  aggressive-completion-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  overwrite-mode: overwrite-mode-binary

Load-path shadows:
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-main hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-main
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-org hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-org
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-lists hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-lists
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-actions hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-actions
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-utils hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-utils
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-context hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-context
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-draft hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-draft
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-message hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-message
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-compose hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-compose
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view-common hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view-common
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view-old hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view-old
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view-gnus hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view-gnus
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-headers hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-headers
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-mark hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-mark
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-icalendar hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-icalendar
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-contrib hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-contrib
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-proc hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-proc
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-meta hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-meta
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-vars hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-vars
/home/horn/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20210420.1635/transient hides /home/horn/Repos/el/emacs/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow face-remap emacsbug eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe shortdoc
help-fns radix-tree company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags
fileloop generator xref project company-gtags company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-files company-clang company-capf company-cmake
company-semantic company-template company-bbdb paredit vc-mtn vc-hg
vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs display-fill-column-indicator
auto-package-update finder-inf generic yaml-mode fish-mode cargo
cargo-process rust-utils rust-mode rust-rustfmt rust-playpen
rust-compile compile rust-cargo web-mode disp-table preview-latex
auto-loads tex-site deadgrep spinner s hl-todo aggressive-indent
rainbow-mode vc-git vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher epa-file dired-x mu4e
mu4e-org mu4e-main mu4e-view mu4e-view-gnus mu4e-view-common
mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-context mu4e-draft mu4e-actions ido
rfc2368 mu4e-mark mu4e-proc mu4e-utils doc-view jka-compr image-mode
exif mu4e-lists mu4e-message flow-fill org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs mule-util hl-line mu4e-vars mu4e-meta
smtpmail-multi smtpmail sendmail ecomplete completion auto-dictionary
flyspell ispell tramp-smb which-key highlight-parentheses
company-restclient know-your-http-well http-status-codes http-relations
http-methods http-headers restclient company-posframe posframe company
pcase yasnippet forge-list forge-commands forge-semi forge-bitbucket
buck forge-gogs gogs forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab forge-github
ghub-graphql treepy gsexp ghub let-alist gnutls forge-notify
forge-revnote forge-pullreq forge-issue forge-topic forge-post
markdown-mode color thingatpt noutline outline forge-repo forge
forge-core forge-db closql emacsql-sqlite advice emacsql
emacsql-compiler magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff diff-mode git-commit
log-edit pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert
filenotify magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor server
magit-mode transient magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm dash
visual-filename-abbrev debbugs soap-client url-http url-auth url-gw nsm
warnings rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp bug-reference
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode vertico aggressive-completion
icomplete mb-depth use-package-diminish windmove rx tramp-cache tramp-sh
recentf tree-widget pixel-scroll saveplace savehist paren smiley
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku
svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus wid-edit nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums text-property-search mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils edmacro kmacro dracula-theme diminish cl-extra
help-mode use-package-ensure use-package-core tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec info
package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 532892 73350)
 (symbols 48 42498 5)
 (strings 32 195128 7829)
 (string-bytes 1 5835947)
 (vectors 16 74806)
 (vector-slots 8 886755 20954)
 (floats 8 564 336)
 (intervals 56 1103 27)
 (buffers 992 13))