Subject: bug#47949: Failed to produce output path for guix-package-cache

From: Roel Janssen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 13:38:45 +0200

Dear Guix,

I'm running into the following problem:

----
$ guix pull
Updating channel 'guix-science' from Git repository at 
'https://github.com/guix-science/guix-science.git'...
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 
'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Building from these channels:
   guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git   5763eba
   guix-sciencehttps://github.com/guix-science/guix-science.git 5a2e3d5
Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... |
The following derivation will be built:
    /gnu/store/xy2q5rk35sxn07xjq89l3ga95igjmmsi-profile.drv

building package cache...
/builder for 
`/gnu/store/4q9aprxi2rr1i6yjk1y7d76nbavwp4fy-guix-package-cache.drv' 
failed to produce output path 
`/gnu/store/xgjiqmh9qlvnq1701zb5dsbbwnjx76qq-guix-package-cache'
build of 
/gnu/store/4q9aprxi2rr1i6yjk1y7d76nbavwp4fy-guix-package-cache.drv failed
Could not find build log for 
'/gnu/store/4q9aprxi2rr1i6yjk1y7d76nbavwp4fy-guix-package-cache.drv'.
cannot build derivation 
`/gnu/store/xy2q5rk35sxn07xjq89l3ga95igjmmsi-profile.drv': 1 
dependencies couldn't be built
guix pull: error: build of 
`/gnu/store/xy2q5rk35sxn07xjq89l3ga95igjmmsi-profile.drv' failed
----

Is this a known problem? I assume this may be a problem with the 
"guix-science" channel (which would be my own fault of course).
If it is, then perhaps the UI could be improved to show why the package 
cache couldn't be built.
Perhaps, as a matter of diagnostics, it could build package caches 
separately for each channel to pinpoint which channel is causing the 
problem.

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen