Subject: Re: [bug#47943] [PATCH]: Gnu: Add Weir

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 11:22:07 +0200

Hi Guillaume,

thank you for your follow up and for your contribution to Guix!

Guillaume Le Vaillant <[email-masked]> writes:

> Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]> skribis:

[...]

>> AFAIU the license in 1. means that that piece of code is not free
>> software, since "verbatim copy" AFAIU is not free
>>
>> The license in 2. AFAIU is free software, license:expat or other? Can
>> you clarify please?
>>
>> The code referenced in 3. is suggested by lispm in
>> https://gist.github.com/inconvergent/8b6ccfbde4fca7844c1962082ef07a7e
>> and AFAIU is not a trivial patch with no clear license: I really don't
>> know how this kind of code is normally evaluated from a GNU FSDG point
>> of view
>>
>> I think we need some guidance from someone more experienced in license
>> issues.

> I pushed the patch just before receiving your email about the possible
> license issue. Bad timing...

I saw your push some minutes after my message :-)

> I'm not a lawyer and I'm not sure what the final license of Weir is, so
> it would be nice if some license expert could give us their opinion on
> this. And in case there's a problem, I'll revert the patch.

I am almost sure that the licenses for the points 1 (license clearly
stated by Paul Graham) and 3 (no license for that code means "classic"
full copyright) are non-free.

Please do not forget that a reasonable copyright and license audit is
one of the things to do before committing, so please do not skip this
important step just IANAL ;-)

Please can you yust revert this patch and give us some time to settle
this issue?

Thanks! Giovanni

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures