Subject: Re: [bug#47906] [PATCH 13/22] gnu: Add python-qtawesome.

From: Vinicius Monego <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 16:07:54 +0000

Lars-Dominik Braun writes:

> Hi,

Hello,

>> * gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm (python-qtawesome): New variable.
> as far as I see this package bundles font-awesome version 5, which is
> not FSDG-free per https://bugs.gnu.org/32916, so from my understanding
> it cannot be included in Guix (which is a shame).
>
> Cheers,
> Lars

Interesting, I saw that package in Debian (also Spyder is there) and
assumed it was free.

Upon inspecting the Debian package further I found that it sets the
SYSTEM_FONTS variable. Those fonts are in the packages
fonts-elusive-icons and fonts-font-awesome, the latter having the version
"5.0.10+really4.7.0~dfsg-4.1". Seems to be a way to pretend that
fontawesome4 is fontawesome5.

Maybe we can do something similar, but I do not have the time to
investigate this for now. Could the patches not related to spyder be
applied in the meantime? I can send a v2 with a selection if that makes
it easier.