Subject: [bug#47898] [PATCH] [core-updates] Add option --xpath0 to xmllint from libxml2

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 14:41:46 +0200

david larsson <[email-masked]> skriver:

> Hi!
> This patch adds the option to separate xpath results from xmllint by a 
> null delimiter when using the --xpath0 option-flag. It is something 
> that's been asked for for a long time by users on stackoverflow and 
> merge-attempts have been made to upstream without success.
>
> Examples:
>    - https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libxml2/-/issues/227
>    - https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libxml2/-/merge_requests/8

I'm reluctant to take a patch that has been rejected upstream,
especially for a core package such as libxml2.  Porting can be
time-consuming which delays security updates, and we'll have situations
where something "works on Guix" but not elsewhere (or vice versa).

Will adding it as a separate package be sufficient?  We could call it
"xmllint-xpath0" or similar and make it clear that it's just libxml2
with a patched xmllint in the description.

Thoughts?